Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wednesday: Down on the water (and more bookshops)

So today was another walking day: a cable car down Ghirardelli Square and then walked miles: around Fort Mason, along the Marina, and Chrissy Fields and then through the Presidio. I've included a few photos which I took because they show a different side to the city and its landmarks. I also found THE BEST bookshop so far. Fort Mason is a former naval base and shipping yard which has been reclaimed for community arts purposes. Lots of theatre groups, art galleries and a bookshop run by Friends of the San Francisco Library - boy these people could teach our local libraries a thing or two about fundraising. All books for sale are donated, not ex-lib (well none that I saw) and reasonably priced. These are not $1 books but they had some of the absolute classics of cookbooks - Pellaprat, Larousse, Julia Child, Escoffier for $10 - $15 (US not Australian so not as reasonable as at first glance). Because I was on foot I only bought a couple of books - Julia Della Croce's Salse di Pomodoro - a book of tomato sauces and Neset Eren's Dleights of Turkish Cooking. Definitely going back there before I leave.




















So

No comments: