Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Do I stay or do I go?

Yesterday I opened the shop on a day off for a gentleman who rang before Christmas asking if I'd be open on January 5th. I do it regularly, no skin off my nose, and there's always work to be done while they browse. I was so glad I did because I met the loveliest couple who had a wonderful story to tell of how in 1959 while walking in Sherbrooke Forest and talking about marriage, they agreed to make a pilgrimage back to the forest on her 70th birthday on January 5th 2010. She loves cookbooks, so part of her birthday treat was to visit me! Then yesterday afternoon I picked up 20 litres of goats milk from a customer who knew I wanted to make real goats milk cheese. And the day before I dropped off some books to another customer who showed me around her lovely vegetable garden and gave me some excellent tips on looking after the chooks. It's these kinds of people and interactions that really make my business enjoyable- bookselling is not a hugely profitable enterprise so you do really need to love what you do! Which is why I am currently caught on the horns of a dilemma - for the past three months I have been in negotiation (if it can be called that) to renew my lease and I am just about over the whole exercise. In fact I have several times been at the point of throwing up my hands and saying enough - I'll just retreat back to internet and catalogue sales and close the shop. And then I think of how my customers enrich my life ( sadly only a few in the literal sense!!) and how much pleasure the shop brings to regulars and serendipitous drop-ins and I once again ponder - should I stay or should I go?

No comments: